Sunday, January 20, 2008

In Memory of Cooper.....


For months now Karen has shared the story of her Yorkie, Cooper, here with us. You have come to know his posts as "The Scoop on Cooper". Sadly, today I received this email from Karen.......

"Unexpectedly last night, Cooper took a turn for the worst and let me know in his sweet and kind way that it was time to go. He got into his little bag as if to say he was ready, and together we spent the night side by side. I promised him a nice long walk in the morning if he should change his mind, but he never did and so, together we went to the hospital.

Dr B., (my amazing vet) and I spent quite some time discussing the alternative, which was to "flush" his kidneys temporarily, but agreed that he was in pain and even doing so, would not guarantee he would get any better. Dr. B. couldn't have been any more compassionate - walking me thru every step of the way as we cried together.

Sweet little Cooper went into Acute Renal Failure and was put to sleep early this morning surrounded by me, Dr. B. and much of the staff at the Animal Hospital who showered him with love and kisses before it was time to go.

I am grateful that it happened as quickly as it did, and believe that until last night he was not in any pain. He played with his friends up until last week and just last night stole a piece of prosciutto as it fell off the counter. As a close friend said early this morning....he must have thought at that moment - "I have died and gone to heaven".

I am sad, but at the same time relieved as I know that by now he has worked his way over the rainbow bridge, has found Bentley and the two of them are sharing a bone in the sun...probably comparing notes. I hope they realize how much i loved them both and how much joy they, in return, brought me. Love, Karen"

Our thoughts are with Karen at this difficult time. She gave Cooper more love and more life than anyone in her shoes would have. We will miss you, Cooper........

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Karen-

Cooper's spirit lives on!
Best, Polly

Search

Google